Monday, November 03, 2008

In which I anger 95% of my readership

I've sighed in annoyance for the past several months every time I read/hear someone say that Obama is the candidate for peace. No, y'all, he's not. He may or may not (I suspect the latter) get us out of Iraq within 16 months, but that doesn't mean peace. He's going to redistribute the troops, throw 'em into Pakistan and Afghanistan, and we'll still be in the combat hole that we're in now, just in other countries. However, undeniably, McCain is the more pro-war candidate, and he's unashamed of that fact, and the toenail I just clipped off and threw in the trash is more pro-life than Obama ever hopes to be.

Today, I'm really, really, really irritated with the pro-lifers who think that John McCain is the pro-life candidate. This goes beyond an annoyed sigh. This is a derisive chuckle, a groan of exasperation, a *headdesk* of desperation. The same pro-lifers wouldn't touch John McCain 6 months ago because of his unapologetic and continued support for embryonic stem cell research have straight up sold out because he's "the pro-life candidate." "Vote pro-life, vote John McCain!" shouted 3 e-mails from 3 separate pro-life news organizations I got today. Seriously, dude, gag me.

If you're voting for a candidate based on which one values human life more, you've really got to choose between poop soup and a turd sandwich here. On the one hand, you've got the guy who thinks that the legal murder of millions of innocent unborn children is okay, since they're all mistakes to begin with. I'm pro-life because a) I believe that abortion has hurt millions more women than it has helped and b) I believe life begins at conception. Thing is, I don't believe life ENDS at birth. I value the lives of born people too, including the hundred thousand or so Iraqi civilians that have died and the nearly 4200 American soldiers that have lost their lives fighting this bullshit war.

Even if you think that this war was justified (just what reason is being touted these days? I've lost track) you can't have missed that time that John McCain parodied The Beach Boys' song "Barbara Ann." This man doesn't take those lives seriously. At all. He thinks we should be in Iraq for an undefined amount of time, even if it takes another hundred years. Who cares that thousands of lives have been lost? Screw it, "bomb bomb bomb Iran."

Tomorrow, y'all get to choose which is the more justifiable homicide... innocent unborn children or "collateral damage." If you're voting for a candidate because you believe in him and support him, I can respect that. However, I feel truly sorry for those of you who are voting for the lesser of two evils, because whichever evil you choose will rest on your conscience when he decides to kill innocent children through declaring yet another war on yet another country or decides to kill innocent unborn children through loosening abortion laws.

Politics makes me freakin' sick, man. SICK. Innocent men, women, and children (born and unborn!) die in war; the declaration of war is EVERY BIT the act of murder that abortion is. I just do NOT understand all of my friends who are undeniably as staunchly anti-abortion as I am voting for this bellicose douchebag. (I also don't understand my anti-war friends voting for Obama, but that's not the point of this post.)

UGH. I miss Ron Paul. He had more respect for innocent life in his pinky finger than Obama or McCain have ever had in their entire political careers.

16 comments:

Jennifer said...

This sounds like most of the conversations that Andy and I have had in this house over the pas few months--It just keeps getting worse and worse and we are praying so hard right now that everything will turn out okay in the end...*sigh*

I miss Ron Paul, too...and you know what? So do a lot of people who made fun of us back in the day for supporting him.

Thanks for the post, Stacey--I want to link to it--Do you mind?

Stacey said...

Heh - you were the 5% I figured I wouldn't anger. Of course you can link me. Consider this permanent permission to link anything I post!

Jen said...

You didnt anger me one bit. You are entitled to your own opinion and you put this very well :)

Lori said...

Awww, Stacey, you didn't anger me. I don't think that anybody that makes a cogent point really does anger me. I think you make valid points really. I happen to be for Obama because he represents a lot of the main ideals I vote for.

The prochoice/prolife thing is an issue that is so much more gray than black and white. I am pro-choice mostly because I believe that I don't get to tell another woman what to do with her body. And I certainly don't get to tell either one of these women not to get an abortion. Good reads if you haven't been to either of these sites.

http://www.uppercasewoman.com/wastedbirthcontrol/2008/03/speaking-to-the.html

or

http://wabi-sabilife.blogspot.com/2008/01/why-its-important-to-vote-pro-choice.html

It is not an easy topic to discuss and I believe what we really need to strive for is better access to birth control, better insurance coverage for birth control, etc to prevent more women from even getting to a point where abortion needs to be considered.

Susan said...

Count me in the 5% not at all angered, and in agreement with you on all of those points. I really feel like I don't have a single choice in this election, which is quite possibly the worst feeling of all.

Sharon said...

Not angry here, either.
While I don't agree with you 100%, I do agree that I miss Ron Paul. You taught me a lot about him and he probably would have had my vote.

This election is spooky and I am nervous for the results. Either way we go, it makes me a little nervous.

Katy said...

Well said. I'm with you in the idea that ALL life is valuable--not just the particular type that suits me.

Sandi said...

It's nice to read a well-thought out argument like this, even if I don't agree with all you say. Best of luck to you tomorrow at the polls. I know this is a hard choice for you.

Rhonda said...

While I don't adore either candidate I will feel less sick to my stomach voting for the one that goes along with my values a little more than the other. But I agree, if Ron Paul was a 3rd choice I'd seriously consider voting for him.

Either way, nobody will be happy with the outcome and everyone will complain for the next umpteen years blaming whatever problems arise on the opposing party. It's ridiculous.

Dr. Wifey said...

no anger from me either! my feelings are that the election is a lose-lose situation. but i feel like if i vote for an independent, my vote does not count...does that make sense?

oh, my word verification was flush!

black betty said...

you go, girl! that was awesome! it's nice to hear something like this. i'm tired of all the other political posts on blogs i could puke. i feel like you...neither one of them is my choice.

vote pedro!!!!

mayberry said...

We are more alike than you know.

You ARE going to vote today though, right?

From the Doghouse said...

I really wanted to go Etch-A-Sketch on this entire election. Wipe it clean and start over with new candidates.

dhcoop said...

No anger here. You make valid points as usual.

Erin Steele said...

I have felt all along that the elections are always based on lies and do you believe the candidate "believes" what they are actually saying! I have had internal conflict concerning abortion(candiadates views) but i never thought to compare it to war(deaths)..it made me think even more. I feel i made a great decision picking a candidate who represented almost all of my beliefs..even if that doesn't include banning abortions! What most people have to understand is that even if McCain is in office the chance of Roe vs Wade being overturned is very slim(Hillary tried but was dismissed and denied the whole time Bill was in office)...it is an ongoing struggle!

Lori said...

Erin:

Certainly the president has no power to overturn Roe vs. Wade, but the next president will appoint at least one supreme court justice and probably as many as three. So the person appointing those justices does have a bit of a say of sorts.