Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Hmmm

I watched Dr. Phil today. Bare bones, it was about people in a very strict, conservative Mennonite community. No running water, no electricity, no modern conveniences. Women do, well, "women's work" and men do men's work. No education past the 8th grade. Very strict dressing codes. All in all, a very Biblical life.

It got me thinking - from a Christian standpoint, that's probably the lifestyle we should all be living. Literally no distractions from a life basically set up for us in the Bible. Some call it brainwashing, I call it a way to make darn sure your child is going to Heaven.

Many of us choose to live with modern conveniences, which means modern distractions. The Internet, television, radio, books, jobs, money - these are all, in fact, distractions. We're supposed to not be distracted, but to avoid all temptation and spend our time worshiping the Lord.

It stands to reason that these cult-like Christian denominations could stand in judgement of us all. They do their level best to avoid sin, while I, instead of reading the Bible, sit on my butt and blog. But they don't. They mind their own business. They farm, they read the Bible, they sing hymns, they worship God in their own way. Sure they sin. They're not perfect, only one man was. But they do everything they can to completely avoid temptation.

So why can't all Christians be this way? I don't mean be Mennonites, because I don't know about y'all, but I sho nuff loves me some flushing toilets. And ohh, air conditioning. But something about a rich man judging the actions of a gay man really bothers me. A married man who ogles other women standing righteously over someone who has had premarital sex... a woman on TV with so much makeup on that she probably loses weight when (if) she takes it off, telling a woman that has had an abortion that she is a sinner... These things are all sins, according to the Bible. Why is one more acceptable than the other? I like having a nicely padded bank account and the idea that I will have a comfy retirement... is that the way Jesus would live? (The answer is no. He lived like a poor man, and everything he had, he gave away.)

Jesus really had it right with the whole "let he who is without sin cast the first stone" thing. Being that we are all sinners, we have absolutely no right whatsoever to stand in superiority and speak about the sins of others. Yes, we are to make a righteous judgement, so that we ourselves are to avoid temptation. And if someone asks you if their actions are sinful ones, by all means, tell them. But please, don't ask me to sign your petition against gay marriage, unless you'll sign mine outlawing divorce except in the case of adultery.

2 comments:

angie. said...

In response to the mennonite: Good for you people. Follow your beliefs, even though that is all you eally have known to be. BUT, women doing women's work, I would go nuts and beome the devil'schild if I grew up in that kind of life...and no brainwsahing could change that!

Now, about those azzes that like to judge other people,

“Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you (Matthew 7:12).”

I really really don't like people who make no efort to respect other people and their fults/differances. (Notice I sadi"make no effort", since we allhuman with faults, well, I think you get what I'm saying!)

ANd all another note, for those whoknow that I'm not a Christian, do you find it ironic that I keep pulling quotes from the bible? :D

Melinda said...

Don't forget: we have to stone adulterers and disobedient children, outlaw work on the sabbath (Fri. sundown to Sat. sundown), forbid the eating of non-kosher foods, kill all witches (I think bitches might count for that too), get our animal sacrificing on and all sorts of other things. We need to get cracking if we're going to redeem the morality of the masses.