Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Let there be...

...light, air conditioning, and internet. I lost power yesterday about half an hour after my last post and just got it back about 2 hours ago. It's been mighty warm.

Most of my family is fine - a little worried about my grandma though. She lives in a VERY rural area and someone from the fire department told my uncle that they were trying to get to her house through all the downed trees. As for Brandon, we've fared relatively well. There are trees down all over the place and somehow, we were among the 90% of the state without power over night, but God definitely smiled on us here. I'll have some pictures up as soon as possible.

My friends are doing okay, but I need to ask for prayer for Miss Jean, a friend's mom who is MIA. Her husband has been working at a hospital and can't get to the house and natch, all phone lines are down. Please pray for Miss Jean. So many of my friends have lost a bunch of property, but that can be replaced. Miss Jean can't. Please, please pray for her.

Don't tell Drew or Rob, but I'm kinda glad we didn't have power for so long, because we weren't able to watch the television. It is absolute devastation there, people. When I woke up this morning, I was under the impression that somewhere around 15 people were dead. Now I'm hearing reports of 100 confirmed in one county in Mississippi alone.

Most people that live in the Louisiana parishes most affected by the storm (St. Tammany, Orleans, Lafourche, Jefferson, Plaquemine, etc.) can't return home till Monday and that's ONLY to get their essentials. Then they can't go back for a month to 6 weeks. At least.

It's hard to imagine it from up here. This is so much like 9-11. It's absolute devastation, but in a week, my life will no longer be directly affected by this, except for Rob being here. Most of the country is neither directly nor indirectly affected by the hurricane, so they're completely detached from what has gone down.

Okay, I can't say anymore. I didn't sleep well and I'll keep talking about it until I drive someone crazy. I'm gonna go pray for Miss Jean right now. She's okay, Em.

3 comments:

Shiksa on the move said...

Left a message on Drew's cell phone - my cell is intermittent at best right now. If you leave me a message I'll get it eventually, but email is faster. I'll call if I hear anything.

The DP said...

please text me on my cell if you hear anything about Miss Jean.

Anonymous said...

It's good to know you have power back.