Thursday, September 01, 2005

Miss Jean is okay. Thank you, God.

In other news...

My mother in law came to stay with us yesterday and is now insisting she can't afford another hotel stay. If any of y'all know her, you'll know how incredibly untrue this is, unless she invested all her money in spray-on food flavoring or something. I kid you not, she's miserly. She's got 30,000 miles on her car. She bought it in 1995.

My mom still doesn't have power, but my 80-year-old grandmother is feeling better because they plugged and air conditioner into the generator. I spoke on the phone to my little brother earlier and it's apparently pretty hard to live there right now. I told my stepdad to send my grandmother up if they needed to, but all I can do right now is pray really hard that they get power back as soon as possible.

If you're among the many people wondering what you can do, I have one great big suggestion for you. Conserve gas. Please. Don't go out to eat tonight, and if you do, pick up some groceries to use for the rest of the week. Every gallon you don't use is a gallon that comes here. Please, please conserve gas. I'm begging you. People are sleeping in their cars at pumps waiting for the gas truck to come. People are lined up for 3 hours waiting for gas, only to find out that the station ran out with the car in front of them. I drove by a line last night that was at least half a mile long, and it's worse in some areas. I also had to go out in search for gas last night at 12:30 with a gun in my car because I'm very, very afraid of what's going on out there right now.

People are different here. We used to all smile at one another, now it's the kind of smile you give a person at a funeral. New Orleans is... anarchy. There's a complete and total breakdown of law and order there, it's mob rule, and it's chaos.

A really good website for finding out about your neighborhood is scipionus.com.

I'm glad for this blog. It's a good refuge for me right now.

7 comments:

Shiksa on the move said...

Amen praise the Lord for the safety of the mother, she will receive her beatings later.
I took public transport all day today and I tell myself that the longer my car sits in the driveway, the closer my grandparents will be to getting out of town. It's a weird feeling, seeing my hometown on CNN looking like it's been hit by a bomb. It's a sadness I can't put my finger on yet.

The DP said...

I haven't cried yet. I feel it welling up inside, I worry about my father with a dozen people in his house and no electricity, I feel the stress of being the only person in my family employed and/or with a roof over my head at the moment, I feel the nervousness and I know I need to cry, but I can't. It is scary to not know when I am going to break down.

Miss Jean better hide, I'm going to do like a Pakistani grandma and throw sandals at her if she ever does that ever again. NO, there won't be a next time, because next time she is coming to Switzerland.

Waterfall said...

Cuz, can you give me news on Sherry and Rebecca? I have been trying to call her cell phone with no success. Can't find any news on Kenner, though I know she evacuated to your mom's. Please e-mail me if you get this and let me know if they are OK.

Anonymous said...

Stacey, Why in the world did you ever leave California?

The DP said...

hey, california has earthquakes, we have hurricanes. same thing.

Stacey, are you telling me that your MIL still has her explorer? like the one from when i was in high school?

OMGosh

Unknown said...

That Explorer doesn't even have 30k miles on it yet.

Shiksa on the move said...

Hey Stacey, I have two words for you: shrimp shells