Saturday, April 17, 2010

Wheee doggies

Tuesday: I went to my neurosurgeon's office to see the nurse practitioner. She sent me to an ENT, who said I either have a minor cold or minor sinus infection, and cleared me for surgery. Went back to neurosurgeon's office, locked down my surgery time.

The rest of the day, I worked my tail off trying to get my house ready for 3 weeks of me not being able to clean it. I did 5 loads of laundry, did a big grocery shopping trip, and generally cleaned up. Wound up having a big fat panic attack while holding my sleeping son. I suppose it was bound to happen.

Wednesday morning, I reported for surgery at 9am. I honestly don't remember much for the rest of the day except for a ton of pain. Oh, and dry-heaving in front of some really good friends. Wednesday night I got morphine and phenergan. I slept.

Thursday morning I got more morphine and Benadryl for the morphine itching. The neurosurgeon seemed especially concerned about my fatigue. I slept most of the day, and I really don't remember much of that day either. Just tons and tons of pain. Darvocet has about as much effect as deep breathing exercises when it comes to post-surgery pain, I'll have you all know. The nurse practitioner did rounds and decided I wasn't ready to go home yet and ordered Toradol, which worked like a big fat charm.

Friday morning I felt at least slightly human, if a little - well, a LOT sedated. I wasn't crying from the pain, which is one thing I remember doing most of Wednesday and Thursday. I was able to get up and pee without feeling like fainting. Took several naps. Finally left the hospital around 1:30.

I had missed Ace so much. He "helped" me get into the bedroom by pushing my walker (yep, I have a walker). I gave him several big hugs and fell asleep around 4 and woke up around 8:30. I was so groggy yesterday, oof.

Today has been so much better. I'm not needing as much pain medication as I've been needing. My mom came over for a few hours, and Drew's doing laundry.

That was rough, though, man. I don't remember crying from pain after my c-section or laparoscopy. I remember them hurting, but not THAT much. I thought it would be easier because no muscle was cut, but it was bad bad bad.

What's good? The unbelievable amount of support I have. Kristie has been GREAT with Ace, playing with him a ton, taking him out to eat and taking him to a baseball game. My BFF Angie stayed Wednesday-Thursday and saw my butt a bunch of times but she still loves me. I think I remember her telling me she vacuumed my house.

And the food, my goodness. Between my friends, my church, and Ace's school, we have been fed WELL. Y'all wouldn't even believe it. Highlights include a tamale pie (what) and a simple berry medley with lite Cool Whip. I feel so supported and loved. It's awesome.

Now Imma kick back and catch up on the DVR. I have 18 episodes of Friends in there. That oughta keep me busy for a while!


Margaret said...

I've been stalking for an update. Hooray for a good one! Glad the pain has eased up a bit. You might not have had muscle cut but your SPINE got worked on and I imagine that throws your body for a loop. Take it easy and take care of yourself!

Nicole Bradshaw said...

I love you, hon. Let me know when the food runs out. I make a mean roast chicken.

Watercolor said...

Hugs sweetie!!! Have been thinking about you!!

Allison said...

I'm SO glad you're on the mend - praying that this is a new start of a life free from pain and numbness!

Take care of yourself - gonna do my best to see you really soon.

Melinda said...

You should make Drew wait on you hand and foot in some sort of sexy outfit. (Sorry, I snickered a bit at Drew and sexy in the same sentence.)

Anyway, I hope you feel better really soon.

Anonymous said...

hello~nice artile..................................................

Anonymous said...