Sunday, January 18, 2009

How I was a bad mom today...

I bought some cough medicine for Ace several months ago and called the doctor for the dose. I stupidly wrote the dose on the box instead of the bottle, then stupidly threw the box away. Tonight he's extra stuffy so I gave him what I thought was the dose, THEN looked online for the dose, and realized I'd given him a bit too much.

I GAVE HIM TOO MUCH COUGH MEDICINE. OH MY GOSH I SUCK AS A MOTHER.

I totally called Poison Control. The lady was all "he's well below the toxic dose, but here are some things you should look out for, although I don't think he'll experience them," then listed things that are freaking me out. I hooked up the baby monitor for the first time in a year. I'm not sure how I'll listen for excessive dryness, drooling, lethargy, or stomach pain, but I'm sure as shoot gonna try.

Jeez Louise, I cannot believe I did that. I'm going to check on him like every 10 minutes, but the Poison Control lady is going to call me back in an hour. Dude, I am bugging out for reals.

9 comments:

Sharon said...

He'll be OK. Don't bug out too much for you'll see things that aren't there. UPDATE us!

On a different note, I'm happy to now know someone else who says "Jeex Louise". :)

RhondaLue said...

Dude I have poison control on speed dial girlfriend.

Yeah my kid got into something in the medicine cabinet while I was out in the laundry room switching loads. Maybe dh gave meds to my kid when he didn't know I already had. And one kid thought the shiny red and yellow pills in a tylenol bottle in my hubby's truck was candy...and he could reach it from his booster seat while dad was unknowingly driving around. yeah but really, 3 times for 6 kids ain't too bad. CPS hasn't come a callin' yet. (ugh, it really does make us feel like bad moms though huh?!)

Everyone makes mistakes.

JesusThroughMary said...

I never make mistakes...

JesusThroughMary said...

I'M NEVER WRONG!!!!!!!!!!

Jo said...

Oh that is so scary.

But it ain't nothin' compared to the time we had to take 14 month old Blake to ER and have his STOMACH PUMPED!!!!!

Ace'll be fine. I'm with Sharon...don't bug out too much. The OTC doses are purposely low for the morons who purposely take too much! LOL :)

Bird said...

Goodness! I wouldn't freak out too much. Doses are just averages based on age and weight--there's usually plenty of wiggle room. I know because I know lots of dumb asses who take double the prescribed dose of everything.

Keep us posted!

Sandi said...

He may be a little tipsy, but I'm sure he'll be fine. Make sure you give him plenty of water or other fluids, just in case.

Dr. Wifey said...

the fact that you actually called poison control proves you are not a bad mom!

From the Doghouse said...

Well, how is he?