Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Ace's brat bruise

My charming and wonderful son, Ace, has developed a new tantrum style within the past month or so in which he simply slams his face against whatever's nearby. As he's often crawling around on the floor, the object of his face's wrath tends to be my ceramic tile. Of course, this hurts, sending him into another fit of rage, but the second one tends to only be screaming instead of self-injury.

I initially reacted to this development by freaking out and quickly trying to put my hand under his head so he wouldn't hurt himself. A friend told me a few weeks ago that her kid did that for a while and she just started ignoring it, figuring he'd stop eventually if he was actually hurting himself, and he did. I couldn't handle it at first, hearing the painfully loud thonk of his head on the floor. Now I'm starting to accept the fact that he's doing it just for attention and eventually he'll wise to the pain.

Of course all this nonsense has led to a nice little shiner on my kid's forehead, dubbed "The Brat Bruise," seen here in all it's glory.

















He'll learn eventually... right?

11 comments:

watercolordaisy said...

sure ? i don't have kids. no idea. but cute pic.

Webmaster said...

No kidding. This kid is adorable, even with the purple spot on his forehead.

HEATHER said...

Too precious!
Ignoring is the hardest thing to do!

JesusThroughMary said...

Unless he learns first that chicks dig scars.

black betty said...

the diva did that, too.
she eventually quit when i told her she looked like a retardo and walked away...

Supermom said...

OUCH! Just reading that makes my head hurt! OUCH!

Jennifer said...

Ugh--I remember those days--Landon would whack his head on the wall with this look of determination and "This will show them all!!!" on his face--It was the worst! PS) I love how Ace is smiling sweetly in the pic with the Brat Bruise shining away on his forehead--I can totally picture what he looked like mid-tantrum--ha ha ha!

Jo said...

I just have to say... those eyes!!!! They are killer!!! I didn't even notice the brat bruise at first because of those eyes!

**hugs**

Jo

From the Doghouse said...

Wait until he hits it just right ... then he will decide pain sucks.

Unless he's a masochist of course. Then he'll want a whip for Christmas.

Christy said...

LOL! "Brat Bruise" Poor Ace :(

I hope for your sanity, this phase passes quickly.

Jacolyn said...

Mack used to do the head banging thing too but he got over it pretty quickly. Ace's is too cute!