Thursday, September 27, 2007

A note to Hollywood

I know I'm really a Metairieian Hoosier, but deep down I'm a New Orleanian. Y'all sure can spew out some crap about New Orleans.

More specifically, I'm gonna talk to you about K-Ville. I'm giving it a shot because I reallyreally miss New Orleans and love seeing the shots of home, but this show is really unforgivably bad. Except Cole Hauser is man candy. Well done.

I will ignore the blatant geographical misrepresentations of my city. I know that certain scenes require certain shots, and you can't really do a high speed chase through the Quarter, so sometimes you need to jump on over to the Westbank for a good shot. Maybe you were taking a detour and going through River Ridge to get to the airport instead of taking the interstate like everyone else. Aaaand maybe the airport wasn't open that day, so you decided to go to the convention center and say it was the airport, making it credible by computer-generating a plane flying really low overhead. I'll let that ride.

Please stop with the constant cultural references... we just don't talk about them every 5 minutes. Sometimes, when I lived in New Orleans, I could go a whole day without talking about gumbo, Mardi Gras, cypress trees, or my mama'nem.

For heaven's sake, the ACCENTS. Do NOT fake them. You can't do it. If you want authentic New Orleanian accents, hire New Orleanian actors. There are lots of them. Barring that possibility, at least make your actors hang out with some New Orleanians for a few months, or maybe someone from Kenner. I'm sure my Aunt Lynn would host an actor - now that woman has an accent. A real Southern accent will suffice, but please don't slap some guy from Seattle in the role and tell him to drawl every other word. No, not "evruh utha woid." Every other word. We don't drawl. We talk very quickly, because we're always on our way uptown to a second line with a bowl of red beans made by our mama'nem from down in da parish.

We say "y'all." Do it. Write it into the script.

"Noo Or Lenz" or "Noo Or Lee Inz." Not "N'awlins," "Ne'allins" or "Noo Or Leeenz." No, never. No, not even you. Occasionally an entertainer will pronounce it in one of the forbidden ways for the purpose of dramatic flair, and that's okay. If you're Kermit Ruffins, you can do that. You're not. Stick with "Noo Or Lenz."

I'm just trying to help. I'll be your consultant if you want.

So what does Hollywood do to misrepresent YOUR neck of the woods? I could go nuts with Mississippi, but that kinda goes without saying.

12 comments:

Webmaster said...

i hate that. remember the John Grisham movie that was filmed in Canton, with Sandra Bullock? Same thing...terrible accents but they also had grease or something all over the actors — all the time — to make them look constantly sweaty. Come on, people. We aren't swine down here.
[sigh]

Waterfall said...

Funny ... I saw the show title and thought it was a new show about Knoxville.

I've been living in the Appalachians too long. (Don't get me started on Hollywood's portrayals of Appalachia!)

Supermom said...

Yes, the constant sweaty people in "A Time To Kill" irritated the stew out of me.

Melinda said...

Hey, you didn't even mention the plantation house in the middle of New Orleans or at least, that's where it would have to be for NOPD to have any jurisdiction. (NOPD also doesn't have jurisdiction over the airport as far as I know.) Or how our cops are all drinking on duty. Or how all the people in power positions are big, fat white guys despite the fact that the majority of elected leaders and high-ranking police officers in New Orleans are black.

I'm just surprised they managed to get away from the white and/or powder blue suits we apparently all wear.

My favorite movie flub ever. There was this movie about sinkholes suddenly opening up under New Orleans with the guy who played Chris in Northern Exposure. Problem? Sinkholes happen when groundwater eats away limestone. How much limestone do you think there is in the entire Mississippi Delta? None! How much bedrock is there under New Orleans? None! Damnit!

Stacey said...

Melinda - I noticed that too... I thought and thought and thought about where a plantation-style home would be, because even most Garden District homes aren't even that style. I thought MAYBE Old Metairie (I don't know it that well) but yeah, unlikely New Orleans.

Damnit indeed.

Forcedtoretirelegaleagle said...

I lived in Gulfport in the 70's and went to New Orleans several times a week. I belonged to the Club at the Fairgrounds Race Track and ate that good New Orleans food until I put on weight I have never taken off. Of course, 6 children didn't help with that either. LOL! I enjoyed K-Ville for the scenery that I haven't seen in many years and was so busy looking at that, I didn't have time to notice the accents. I watched it on fox.com and endured the pausing and skipping as best I could to see both episodes.

Kiki said...

If you think they represented New Orleans badly you can only imagine what they do to my NY. I can't even begin to list the many ways...so I understand your frustration.

Jennifer said...

Good Lord, I'm from South Carolina--so where do I even begin? Mainly, I just loathe the awful fake southern accents in movies. It's always either "dumb redneck" or "southern belle"--never accurate and it always offends me. :o) I'll leave it at that for today :o)

Unknown said...

Has anyone figured out what "K-Ville" means?

AM said...

yeah, I can't do the accent and I've been living here and married to someone from deeper south than NO for 8 years....mai chais, I can make one mean king cake though...and I don't CARE if it's season! "Let them eat cake"-requires no season. Oh yeah! and a gumbo....took me a while on a good roux

angie. said...

You're not serious Drew, are you?

watercolordaisy said...

K-ville = Katrina-ville

Supposed to be about post Katrina New Orleans - lawless style