Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Don't call child protective services on me yet.

Ace has learned that when he rolls himself from his front to his back to bring his head down slowly, since the floor is all tiled or laminate, and I reckon it hurts when he smacks his head. I've never seen him actually smack his head, but there's got to be some reason that he doesn't just let his head fall where it will, and instead brings it down gingerly.

One of the cornerstones of a child learning to sit up is protecting himself from falling. For some reason, Ace doesn't have some kind of protective reflex - when we fall, we put our hands out to catch us; he doesn't do that. Now I'm considering just letting him fall, maybe on a rug. Maybe, since clearly he can learn that certain things mean pain, he'll develop that reflex. So far, I don't let him fall - if he does fall, he's on the bed. That doesn't hurt.

Does my line of thinking horrify you? I'm a little horrified myself, but dangit, the kid ain't learning. He'd be somewhere in the neighborhood of 9-10 months if he'd been born on time, and he's simply not sitting up yet and not showing any signs of doing so, and I'm getting a little frustrated and desperate.

Next up, shock therapy.

1 comment:

The DP said...

I am no child development expert or anything, but I do have a theory I would like to share. Have you ever considered that Ace is just hardheaded and super intelligent and does not want to sit up? I mean, why learn to sit up when you can have people hold you? I am not joking. I was not potty trained until I was almost three because diapers were more practical to my little mind. My husband's twin was almost two when he started walking because he had a twin and a bevy of siblings to bring him stuff, so he just plopped in a corner somewhere and chilled. I honestly think Ace is just chillin. Plenty of otherwise normal people have little quirks like that.