Saturday, April 18, 2009

pictures

I've never really thought I was good at much. I've never had any hobbies, and I wasn't especially encouraged in childhood to seek out specific activities. It's not something that's ever bothered me - I occupy my time doing things I enjoy, just nothing specific.

However, lately, I've been thinking that I might be really, really good at photography. Drew got me a really nice camera last year and I've had some fun with it and taken some pretty nice pictures - stuff some people might actually pay for. I've done a lot of practice with it, done a lot of framing practice, macro shots, etc. It whet my appetite.

A few weeks ago, I moved into the big leagues. I saw a SICK deal on a Sony a200K dSLR on consumerist.com, and practically begged Drew to shell out the dough for it. It didn't take much begging, since he saw what a truly incredible deal it was. When it came in, I realized how much I was in over my head... this thing has buttons I have no idea what to do with.

I'm hoping that with the help of Adderall and my quiet afternoons, I'll learn the ins and outs of this thing and be able to take some really nice pictures and one day make some money off of it. If I ever went back to college (pfffft), I'm really thinking it'd be for photography, which is something I could never say - I've never felt especially passionate about something like I've felt about photography. Still, I want to be the person that takes your breath away. I want to take the picture that makes someone say "wow." I want to capture moments, emotions.

Everywhere I go, I seek out things that would make awesome pictures. I was driving along a semi-rural road today and kept thinking "I'd like to take a picture of that" every few miles.

Now, just to DO it. I want to learn my camera and KNOW it, and know exactly how to take the picture I want to take, and take it. I need to just get out there more and take more pictures. Mississippi is filled with possibilities - I can think of at least 10 things on the way to Ace's school that I'd like to spend some time shooting. Gotta do it.

In other news, I went to a baby shower today and ate exactly zero cake, cookies, or the muffins that were apparently a Paula Deen recipe. I cannot believe I've got the willpower for that. I'm a little shocked.

11 comments:

Laurie said...

Good for you, girl! Sounds like the meds and group are evening you out! I want ME some of that!!

Margaret said...

That sounds like an awesome idea. I'm sure there's a class or 2 in the area on photography...to get your toes wet as it were. I can't wait to see what you've had your eye on.

Supermom said...

I didn't eat the first bite of cake, cookies, or muffins either.

But the other awesome stuff? sigh.......

Erin Steele said...

Good for you! Photography is awesome. I have always loved it but it is so nice to get those shots that make you say wow! With a good camera it is so much easier to get those shots. I also plan on taking some classes and want to learn about all those buttons that i have no clue about! You can do it...it is a passion that will be good for your family either through a great picture journal or through the money you can rake in if you make it a career. Stop and take a morning while Ace is in school and just take pics the whole time..i havee been told from the professionals that the biggest thing is the post editing software...if you dont have one you should think about getting Photoshop elements...just A THOUGHT!!

Sandi said...

What a great camera. You should chat with Wifey ... she's fallen in love with photography too, and could probably point you in the right direction.

sinister_n_evil said...

Fantastic Girlie! It sounds like an awesome start...

Kudos to you and I hope you are enjoying your weekend on the Coast!!! Take some good shots of the Gulf Coast and the restoration process...

Crawdaddy79 said...

Cousin, if you want somewhat basic instruction, you know, your cousin (me) fancies himself to be somewhat of a photographer.

I remember when you lived on North Hullen and there was this crappy Kodak camera (rectangular) that you loved playing with. It didn't have any film in it or anything... But you were really into taking pictures with it almost as much as you loved Madonna.

Jen said...

*gasp* you loved Madonna? LOL!!!!! I bet you have a cone bra. :)

Wifey can give you the link to an online photog class that is like $70(if I remember correctly) that I was going to take, too.

Photography ignites a spark inside you. I love LOVE love taking pictures.

Dr. Wifey said...

since i got my camera, i view everything a possible photo. shoot me an email about that photography class....

Allison said...

Sound like an awesome plan to me. I have total faith in you - you are one talented gal!

Congrats on the willpower. I abstained from birthday party treats, including the FANTASTIC looking cake on Saturday myself. I was rather proud of me.

From the Doghouse said...

I'm proud of you.

Now go take some pictures!