Thursday, September 11, 2008

Primo's Cafe

If you're coming here for the first time today for big news, I already posted it. Look below this one.

Drew and I went to Primo's this morning for breakfast. This was the second time we've gone and we can safely say that both dining experiences were among our most disappointing dining experiences ever and we'll never go back.

I just don't get it. I always hear about this place and how awesome it is, and it seems pretty busy, and it's been around for like 60 years. The food is okay, but they should really change the name of the place from Primo's to OverPriced-o's. Last time we went was while Ace was still in the NICU and I ordered a catfish po-boy for 8 bucks. I figured, hey, I'll pay 8 bucks for a well stacked catfish po-boy and some fries. If memory serves, it came with 4 tiny slivers of catfish and like 9 fries. Psh. We blindly thought breakfast would be better.

I ordered the pancake platter, which comes with a side of bacon, and I ordered an egg on the side and some orange juice. Drew got the early bird special with cheese grits and some coffee. The total? 19 bucks. Yes, 19 smackeroos. I looked at the menu again and it added up, but I had no idea that I'd just ordered an egg for $1.40. A BUCK FORTY for an egg. I was really hoping for a special egg.

Drew and I commenced to complaining, and I said if I got any less than 3 pieces of bacon, I'd be pretty ticked. He said he'd like to switch me at least one piece of bacon for one of his pieces of sausage. I said "I reckon you're crazy" (because I loves my bacon) but hey, he knocked me up, I can give him some bacon.

When our food came, I looked with dismay at the meats on our respective plates. I got 2 thin slices of bacon, but poor Drew... well, Drew got ONE singular sausage patty that you could nigh see through, it was that thin. We both decided we'd keep our meat. My super special egg came out and it was not special at all. It was cooked the way I like (no runny stuff, please, ugh) but it had absolutely no seasoning on it at all and was almost cold. The pancakes were good, and the cheese grits were delicious. Not worth nineteen bucks.

Also, a Primo's delivery van cut me off REALLY dangerously once on Lakeland.

I won't be going there again unless some poor fool offers to pay for me.

9 comments:

mayberry said...

You should write restaurant reviews. So colorful.

"he knocked me up, so I can give him some bacon."

You ain't right you crazy thang.

Dr. Wifey said...

that should have been a golden egg for a buck forty!

Deanna said...

I have had the same experience. People pay outrageous prices for their cakes too! I can bake WAY better than them. I am thinking that people who eat at Primos maybe don't cook too much at home.

Nicole Bradshaw said...

If you go back, order the grits and a biscuit a la carte. Those are the two things that I think they do very well.

watercolordaisy said...

Totally agree.

I think their reputation is from the "atmosphere" of the old place. And people just go back because the love the place. Can't be the food....

Crawdaddy79 said...

I don't have anything to say about this. Those are cheap food prices... but then again you are in Mississippi... so that is probably expensive for you.

I would love to be able to eat breakfast with my wife for less than twenty bucks.

black betty said...

if you didn't like primos' prices, don't go to tye's.

From the Doghouse said...

Don't order a poboy from a place based in central Mississippi. They won't get it.

Try Good Times Deli on County Line Road; it's run by a yat.

Rachel said...

i hate to hear that....we eat there all of the time! we love it! maybe you just got the wrong thing!