Tuesday, April 08, 2008

It's time again!

The March of Dimes' annual 5K, the March for Babies, is May 10th this year. I will be walking on behalf of Team Ace, and on behalf of all the other preemie parents I know who have had to endure this nightmare.

I know I haven't given y'all much time this year to look under your couch cushions for money to donate, but I hope you can help me meet my goal of a fat thousand. Last year, I was able to raise over $1,000 for the MoD, so I know I can hit my goal this year with your help.

I was looking for some good "look at my pathetic teeny preemie and be guilted into donating" pictures on Flickr, and it's really, really hard to believe I walked out of the hospital after having a baby without said baby in my arms, and that I left him there for over two months. I can't believe that for 2 months I was only a visitor in his life. I can't believe that I only saw him for a few hours every day and that I was able to walk away from him every day, trusting his life and his well being to other people. I can't believe I ever left. Blah. It's hard to talk about.

Now, please look at my pathetic teeny preemie and be guilted into donating. I know I'm just downright ashamed to use this tactic.















Here's Ace, right after he was born at 29 weeks gestation. I hadn't seen him yet - the nurses wheeled him into the operating room shortly after this - I know this because by the time I was able to get up and go see him, he'd been given an oxygen tube, which he'd be on for the next 7 weeks.















Here's Ace at 1 week old. He was 3 pounds at birth, and dropped to 2 pounds 12 ounces. I think he'd gotten back up to 3 pounds at this point. Either way, this was the first time Drew and I were able to hold him. His skin wasn't really this red; it was just so thin that the flash lit up all of his blood vessels and made him look red.















Teeny baby feet! Eat them up yum!















Every preemie parent has a few "tiny baby, giant hand" pictures. This is one of mine. The first couple of weeks of his life, his skin was too sensitive to be touched, so I'd just reach in and pat his butt to reassure him that I was there.



















Oh, what the heck. Here's a Flock of Acegulls bath time hairdo.

Please, get on over to www.marchforbabies.org/teamace and hook me up. Last year, I sent out thank you cards to everyone that donated. Now don't you want one of those?

10 comments:

mayberry said...

Give me til payday girl and I'm totally in to sponsor you!

From the Doghouse said...

Just to let you know (and maybe reassure you), I was three pounds, five ounces at birth.

Obviously, I got over it! And Ace will too.

Webmaster said...

Do you take cash? I don't do plastic. At all.

Supermom said...

go team ace!!

black betty said...

those pics are amazing...go ace!

Amanda said...

It is amazing what preemie moms have to endure. Most first time moms rarely leave their precious babies alone with a baby sitter or a trusted relative in that first year and yet we are expected to leave our babies fighting for their lives at the NICU and go home in the evenings and lead some kind of "normal life". It was such an unbelievable struggle. I remember evenings just being miserable for not being by her side and counting the hours until we could go back again. Even if it was just to place a hand on her diaper and talk to her while she slept the entire visit.

Your son is adorable. Good luck with your goal!

Jennifer Carter said...

OMG #3 and #4 - I have those exact pics of The Skinny Bean Pole!

She was 28 weeks and 2lbs 10 oz. She's skinny, and catches everything...but doing great!

Stacey said...

Sandi -

I take cash, check, credit cards, money orders, gold doubloons, rupees, and yen.

Anything else, I'd have to check with Ace.

Just go to where it says "sponsor me," then hit "cash or check," then fill out the form. What happens is, it won't be added to my total, but I can verify it and add it to my total after I get it in hand. I'll just get it from you next time I see you!

Webmaster said...

Cool. Remind me next time you see me and I'll give you a donation.

Christina Martin said...

I love your blog, and I have a tremendous respect for your ethics and your motives... that said, surely there must be a better way to help preemies than the March of Dimes. A big part of their agenda is to prevent birth defects by preventing the births of "defective" babies. Their goal is to increase early detection to allow for more such babies to be aborted, ant to use many of the funds they raise to pay for detection and abortion.

I hope you'll do some research and reconsider your promotion.

God bless you!