Tuesday, February 05, 2008

best since 1999

My friends, today is Robbie Gras.

Robbie Gras is the celebration of one man's birth, a man so great that he will one day rule the world. A man so great that he gets his own holiday, which will one day be national.

That man is Rob Cerio. I'm lucky enough to call him my friend.

I met Rob on a warm blazing hot day at the University of New Orleans. I had enrolled for the fall semester, and my mom took me to the dorm for a tour. Rob, perhaps knowing that standing before him was a sweet, innocent girl from the farmlands of southern Indiana, set us up with a HUGE queen for the tour. I couldn't tell if he was a girl or a boy. His name was Chris. We became friends shortly after I moved in.

I jokingly blame Rob for the demise of my college career (since we all know that I dropped out because I got dumped) but I very fondly remember the days that he would invite me to the Flambeau Room for paneed chicken. "Rob, I have to go to class." "Dude, paneed chicken." "Rob, I have to go to class." "Dude." "Yeah, you're right. Let's go."

My first Robbie Gras was basically awesome. I was deemed the official beer wench for the week of ceremonies, and I hosted the official Robbie Gras Ball with my co-host Andy. I remember thinking that Robbie Gras is perilously close to Mardi Gras, and I wondered when the Mardi Gras would be on Robbie Gras. Today is the day. I've remembered that date for 9 years.

Rob, I've gotten in more trouble with you and gotten in more fights with you than nearly anyone I've ever known. I've also gotten more love from you and had more fun with you than nearly anyone I've ever known. You're my big brother, and I'm more glad than you'll ever know that you've found happiness in a very, very special woman. I wish I could've been there today to celebrate Robbie Gras with you and the Krewe of Kahunah. I promise I'll make it up to ya.

Everyone (and I do mean EVERYONE that is reading this), shout out a big HAPPY ROBBIE GRAS in the comments! Do it!

8 comments:

Cameron2 said...

HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOOOBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE


GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1


Also a shot on me from my favorite rum Southern Comfort.

watercolordaisy said...

happy robbie gras!!

Susan said...

Don't know how THAT didn't make the national news today!

Happy Robbie Gras!

Supermom said...

Happy Birthday!!!

From the Doghouse said...

Happy Robbie Gras!

mayberry said...

Happy Robbie Gras!!!

msudeere said...

Happy Robbie Gras!!

Jo said...

HAPPY ROBBIE GRAS TO YOU
HAPPY ROBBIE GRAS TO YOU
HAPPY ROBBIE GRAS DEAR, UH, ROBBIE
HAPPY ROBBIE GRAS TO YOU :)